A Look Inside the Florence Mill

The Florence Mill, located near the 30th Street exit from Interstate 680 on Omaha's north side, was originally constructed during the winter of 1846-47 as Mormon Pioneers made their trek to new settlements in the west.

After more than 150 years, little remains of the original structure; however, its legacy and spirit lives on in Florence. The mill has played an important role in the history of Omaha and the growth of the Florence area in particular. From the time of its construction until the middle of the 20th century, the mill remained operational. The Florence Mill is currently owned by an artist whose goal is to restore the mill as an historic site with a museum and an art gallery.

Still visible inside the mill are original supporting beams that were put in place by Mormon Pioneers in 1846. The grain elevator was added in 1915. The mill is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated as a Nebraska State Historic Site and a Save America's Treasures Project.


Florence Mill Brochures
Florence Mill Visitors Brochures
Florence Mill Historical Brochure

Linked below are photographs, taken on Saturday, May 26, 2007, of the Florence Mill

First floor working area of the mill, looking north
First floor working area of the mill, looking south
1915 man-lift, descriptive sign for man-lift
Second-floor art gallery
Conveyor belt in second-floor art gallery
Entranace to mill from receiving area
Outside of mill, from west
Outside of mill, from east


Listed below are links to pictures of the mill that were taken on 18 May 2002:

supporting beams
outside of mill

first floor area of mill
second floor of mill
second floor of mill
receiving area of mill with wagon
Florence Mill Nebraska State Historic Marker

return to HistoricOmaha.com homepage